What filament is right for you?
Standard PETG is a durable copolyester (a combination). The PET stands for polyethylene terephthalate (think plastic bottles) and the G means it’s been glycol modified for extra durability.
In short this is a really tough material, it's extremely durable and prints without odour. Once you’ve dialed in the correct print settings, it prints nicely too. Users report similar finish quality to PLA.
Here are the main benefits to printing with this material and common PETG filament properties:
- Very durable, it’s more flexible than PLA or ABS, but also a little softer. You’d have a hard job breaking it in half, so if an ‘unbreakable’ case or enclosure is what you need, PETG trumps pretty much everything.
- It has very low shrinkage, and therefore no warping. Ideal for printing big stuff.
- PETG is also very strong, it’s not brittle but can be scratched more easily than ABS which is harder.
- PETG plastic makes a terrible support structure, because it sticks so well. But because it sticks so well, layer adhesion is fantastic, so prints come out strong.
- It sticks well to the print bed too, so be careful when you’re removing it after printing.
- It has a great chemical resistance, along with alkali, acid and water resistance.
- Odourless when printing.
Prusament - PETG is HIGH END filament that is manufactured in-house by Josef Prusa. For those customers who want the very best and now we are happy to offer this. Josef was not satisfied with the quality of filaments on the market. So he decided to make his own! Prusa Research is the only 3D printer manufacturer with its own filament production.
More about the quality of Prusament FIaments.
PREMIUM-GRADE MATERIALS AND THOROUGH TESTING
The whole manufacturing process is closely monitored and tested – string diameter, color consistency, and mechanical properties – to make sure that every spool is perfect. As a 3D printer manufacturer, we obviously print a lot! You can take our word for it . All our filaments go through a long and demanding testing process before they hit the market. It’s difficult to produce a single high-quality spool, but it’s much more difficult to retain a consistent quality in mass production. The whole process is closely monitored and everything is properly tested – string diameter, color consistency, and mechanical properties – to make sure that every spool that leaves our factory is perfect.
± 0.02 MM MANUFACTURING PRECISION
We believe the industry standard of 0.05 mm isn’t sufficient. We guarantee ±0.02mm precision for the vast majority of materials (±0.03 mm for blended materials) and highly-consistent colors. Most filament manufacturers use a ±0.05 mm diameter tolerance when producing 1.75mm filaments. It looks like a tiny number, but we must not forget that this kind of deviation can in its extreme values increase or decrease the expected flow rate by 11.4 %. We decided to set our own manufacturing precision standards. We guarantee ±0.02mm precision for the vast majority of materials (±0.03 mm for blended materials)! The diameter is measured in both axes several times every second, so we can guarantee the maximum precision and best possible circularity of our filament. As a result, increased manufacturing precision leads to a lower percentage of unsuccessful or low-quality prints.
QUALITY YOU CAN CHECK YOURSELF
We are the only manufacturer that gives customers the option to fully inspect parameters of every filament spool. Just scan a QR code on the spool to see all details online.